Golf is one of the most attractive and passionate games. It is also a relaxing and stress relieving game to play. This game was originated in the 15th century in Scotland. The game of golf has a rich history, and with the flow of time, experts invented new formats, technics, rules. The world authority of this game maintains the rules, terms, and conditions. If you are interested in starting playing golf, you have to know about golf rules, formats, and terms. Here in this article, you will find all the necessary information and rules to play golf.
In this article, you may look for-
What are the basic golf rules ?
What is the first basic etiquette rule in golf?
What’s the golden rule of golf?
What are the new rules for golf in 2021?
Let’s start with details
History and the Authority of the Golf:
There is some confusion about golf history. Some say this game is playing from the time of Julius Caesar, but that was not as like as present days golf. The modern day’s golf was originated at the eastern coast of Scotland in the 15th century. In 1754 St Andrews Society of golfers designed the first complete Golf competition following Leitch’s rules.
The world’s oldest and most prestigious golf club is The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews, located at St Andrews, Fife, Scotland, United Kingdom. The authority of this club was one of the governing bodies of worldwide golf, but A newly formed group of companies known as ‘The R&A” named the authority of this game in 2004 except the United States and Mexico.
The United States Golf Association (USGA) is the ruling authority of the United States and Mexico Golf. These two authorities collaborate with the national amateur and professional golf organizations in more than 110 countries.
Requirements for golf:
The game of golf is played with the club (hitting stick) and the ball. But there are some other things required for this game. The Equipment list is given below:
- Golf Course
- Golf Balls
- Golf Clubs
- Ball Markers
- Clubhead gloves
- Ball mark repair tool
- Golf bag
- Golf chart
- Hand Gloves
The R&A and USGA authority approve the sizes, making materials, and the quality of this equipment.
Dress Code for Golf:
There are no such fixed dress codes for playing golf. But some golf tournament authorities fixed a particular dress code from the coordinator’s view, which depended on the environment and weather. Some golf course authorities also have their dress code. It seems better to ask the course authorities if they have any fixed dress code.
A list is given below about what generally worldwide golf players wear and what they avoid to wear:
It might be a long sleeve or short sleeve, but it had better be collared. The material should base on the weather of the course area.
- sports T-shirts or jerseys
- Big advertising banner through the front or back
- Foul verbal words in giant letters
Slacks or Shorts
It’s an individual preference, what you decide on between slacks and shorts. According to the weather, you can select a suitable one. Beige, cream, gray, khaki tan are the most used colors for the bottom. Blue jeans are not allowed on the golf course. Traditionally blue jeans are not suitable for the perfect appearance with this game.
- Do not wear white or pink- used only for conceited low handicappers
- Never wear three-quarter shorts on match time
- Don’t wear drawstring shorts
Golf Running Shoes
You would not be allowed steel spikes in a golf course; it can damage the ground. Spikeless shoes are mostly suggested for beginner golf players. These models are more comfortable than other brands. Experienced and professional players like to wear soft spike shoes.
- Avoid steel spikes
- No trainers
- No Flip flops, sandals, and thongs,
Socks and Belt
Wearing a belt matching with your shoes’ color can make you look more handsome and attractive than others.
Shocks are mostly preferred in white color. It would be best if you chose a pair of soft and comfortable shock that goes up on your ankles.
Hat or Cap of Playing Golf
Caps or Hats are used to hide from heat as you play in an open field under the sun for a long time. Here is the list of mostly used hats or caps:
- Baseball cap
- Cowboy hats
- Bucket hats
- Wide brim hats
The most popular cap to wear on a golf course is baseball caps. Wide brims hats are mostly suggested for beginners. It is also beneficial to steer clear and keeping the sunlight off the cheeks.
- No hats in the bar or clubhouse
- Not any backward caps allowed
Gloves are optional for beginners; you can choose a comfortable and durable glove. An experienced player usually uses gloves to discover the exact grip on the club.
Basic etiquette rules in the golf course:
- Quick Moves: As you have to spend almost four hours under the sun, it will take a little longer if you can’t be active and move quickly.
- Do not tee your ball if someone is playing from the tee.
- Always get ready for your turn.
- If you are not ready or lost a ball and need to search for it, ask the other group to play. Do not slow everybody down.
- Don’t pass on the green zone and write a score. Do it way to the next hole.
- Practice only one swing; if possible, it will speed up your game and waste less time swinging.
Basic golf rules for the beginners:
- You must have to play according to the golf hole order, such as 1 over 9 or 1 over 18.
- Use the correct handicap.
- Spot the golf ball so that you can detect it on the golf course.
- Always strike the golf ball with the clubhead. Do not pushes or fix or profligate the ball or hitting the golf ball even though it’s moving.
Who will strike first? Teeing off
- Place the ball on the tee pointers, the small dyed shafts. It can be upon the two club-lengths.
- The players with the honors tee to begin with for the 1st golf hole. On the remaining golf holes, the golfer who has the top score will go first.
- Shots from the tee pointers to the green zone, the golfer who sends the golf ball farthest away from the golf hole will walk out first.
How you can play the Golf Ball
- “You should play it as it deceits” this is the most fundamental principle of golf. Do not touch or move the golf ball.
Golf Rules Out of Bounds and Lost Balls in Golf
- Golf Rules Out of bounds: If you hit the golf ball out of the given course area, you will be charged a stroke penalty – plus – distance. Means increase single stroke to the score as well as reach the mark where golfer hits the last shot to hit it for a second time.
- Golf Rules Lost Ball: You can hit the second ball as the provisional ball if you hit the ball out of bounds or you lost the ball. But you can tee off after everyone does.
- Red or Yellow lines are used to mark the Water hazards on a golf course.
- If you fall into the water hazards, add a one-stroke penalty, and drop the golf ball after the point somewhere the golf ball goes across into the waterway.
The Putting Green
- You possibly will brush off some loose disorders, for example, sticks or leaves.
- It cannot check the green zone’s surface by continuing the golf ball or scaring the surface.
- You might have to pick your golf ball to make way for an extra ball or wash it, then mark the ball with a coinage on every occasion.
- When the ball overhangs the verge of the golf hole, you can look ahead 5- 10sec to see if the ball will drop into the hole.
- You’re not allowed to ask any questions about how you can play from an expert or the caddie or companion.
- You possibly will request for notices about instructions, limitations, or locations of dangers.
Course Maintenance and Protection
- Watching out of the golf course, you’re golfing is a part of your responsibilities.
- Have knowledge of your nearest golf players before the strike.
- If you carry a golf cart, maintain the cart rules.
- Every time repair the pitch results in the green zone.
- Always even out the sand area after alighting in a shelter
Be aware of golf’s official rules for additional specifics about every issue, and authorized rules are highly referred to settle down each opinion difference.
Golf Score Structures
If you research golfing’s scoring structure; you will find many authorized to develop the system on overtime and time.
The golf points scoring structure was created by Dr. Stableford, who used this method on 16 May 1932 for the first time at Cheshire.
Bogey for two points
One over One point
One under for Three points
Two under for Four points
Three under For Five points
*Bogey is the terminology that used in the old days instead of par.
Finally, the golf player improved the entire handicap to acquire his round’s whole golf points.
Popular Golf Formats played worldwide:
- Match Play
- Stroke Play
- Better/Best Ball
- Alternate Shot (Foursome)
- Skins Game
- Ryder Cup
- Chapman or Pinehurst
- Money Ball or Lone Ranger
- Quota Tournament
- Peoria System
It is a pleasure to be the starting partner of your golf journey. The most comfortable and useful suggestion we can give to you is “do not worry too much about the game. Have fun and enjoy it”. Knowing about the golf rules and golf etiquette will help you in the game. So, obey the rules first. Always try to be knowledgeable about the practice and terms of the course where you are playing. You can easily find the best solution for your game if you read these rules guide properly.
At the moment, if you have any question about these golf rules, you can ask in our comment box below; our expert will reply to you as soon as possible
Have a good day.