Golf is one of the most attractive and passionate games. It is also a relaxing and stress-relieving game to play. This game was originated in the 15th century in Scotland. The game of golf has a rich history, and with the flow of time, experts invented new formats, technologies, rules. The world authority of this game maintains the rules, terms, and conditions. If you are interested in starting playing golf, you have to know about basic golf rules, formats, and terms. Here in this article, you will find all the necessary information and rules to play golf.
In this article, you may look for –
What are the basic golf rules?
What is the first basic etiquette rule in golf?
What’s the golden rule of golf?
What are the new rules for golf in 2021?
Let’s start with details.
History and the Authority of Golf:
There is some confusion about golf history. Some say this game is playing from the time of Julius Caesar, but that was not as like present day golf. The modern day’s golf was originated on the eastern coast of Scotland in the 15th century. In 1754, St Andrews Society of golfers designed the first complete Golf competition following Leitch’s rules.
The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews is the oldest and most prestigious golf club in the world. It is located in St Andrews, Fife, Scotland, United Kingdom.. In 2004, a newly formed group of companies known as the R&A took over the authority of this game in all other countries except the United States and Mexico. The R&A is the governing body of golf worldwide.
The United States Golf Association (USGA) is the ruling authority of the United States and Mexico Golf. These two authorities collaborate with the national amateur and professional golf organizations in more than 110 countries.
Requirements for golf:
- Golf Course
- Golf Balls
- Golf Clubs
- Ball Markers
- Club head gloves
- Ball mark repair tool
- Golf bag
- Golf chart
- Hand Gloves
Dress Code for Golf:
- sports T-shirts or jerseys
- Big advertising banner through the front or back
- Foul verbal words in giant letters
Slacks or Shorts
- Do not wear white or pink – used only for conceited low handicappers
- Never wear three-quarter shorts on match time
- Don’t wear drawstring shorts
Golf Running Shoes
- Avoid steel spikes
- No trainers
- No flip-flops, sandals, and thongs.
Socks and Belt
Hat or Cap of Playing Golf
- Baseball cap
- Cowboy hats
- Bucket hats
- Wide brim hats
- No hats in the bar or clubhouse
- Not any backward caps allowed
Basic etiquette rules on the golf course:
- Quick Moves: As you have to spend almost four hours under the sun, it will take a little longer if you can’t be active and move quickly.
- Do not tee your ball if someone is playing from the tee.
- Always get ready for your turn.
- If you are not ready or lost a ball and need to search for it, ask the other group to play. Do not slow everybody down.
- Don’t pass on the green zone and write a score. Do it the way to the next hole.
- Practice only one swing; if possible, it will speed up your game and waste less time swinging.
Basic golf rules for beginners:
- You must have to play according to the golf hole order, such as 1 over 9 or 1 over 18.
- Use the correct handicap.
- Spot the golf ball so that you can detect it on the golf course.
- Always strike the golf ball with the club head. Do not push or fix or profligate the ball or hitting the golf ball even though it’s moving.
Who will strike first? Teeing off
- Place the ball on the tee pointers, the small dyed shafts. It can be upon the two club-lengths.
- The players with the honors tee to begin with for the 1st golf hole. On the remaining golf holes, the golfer who has the top score will go first.
- Shots from the tee pointers to the green zone: the golfer who sends the golf ball farthest away from the golf hole will walk out first.
How you can play the Golf Ball
- “You should play it as it deceits” is the most fundamental principle of golf. Do not touch or move the golf ball.
Golf Rules Out of Bounds and Lost Balls in Golf:
- Golf Rules Out of bounds: If you hit the golf ball out of the given course area, you will be charged a stroke penalty – plus – distance. Means increase single stroke to the score as well as reach the mark where golfer hits the last shot to hit it for a second time.
- Golf Rules Lost Ball: You can hit the second ball as the provisional ball if you hit the ball out of bounds, or you lost the ball. But you can tee off after everyone does.
- Red or yellow lines are used to mark water hazards on a golf course.
- If you fall into the water, add a one-stroke penalty, and drop the golf ball after it goes across the water to the other side.
The Putting Green
- You possibly will brush off some loose disorders, for example, sticks or leaves.
- It cannot check the green zone’s surface by continuing the golf ball or scaring the surface.
- You might have to pick your golf ball to make way for an extra ball or wash it, then mark the ball with a coinage on every occasion.
- When the ball overhangs the verge of the golf hole, you can look ahead 5- 10sec to see if the ball will drop into the hole.
- You’re not allowed to ask any questions about how you can play from an expert or the caddie or companion.
- You may request notices about instructions, limitations, or locations of dangers.
Course Maintenance and Protection
- Watching out of the golf course, you’re golfing is a part of your responsibilities.
- Have knowledge of your nearest golf players before the strike.
- If you carry a golf cart, maintain the cart rules.
- Every time the pitch results in the green zone.
- Always even out the sand area after alighting in a shelter
Golf Score Structures
Popular Golf Formats played worldwide:
- Match Play
- Stroke Play
- Better/Best Ball
- Alternate Shot (Foursome)
- Skins Game
- Ryder Cup
- Chapman or Pinehurst
- Money Ball or Lone Ranger
- Quota Tournament
- Peoria System
It is a pleasure to be the starting partner of your golf journey. The most comfortable and useful suggestion we can give to you is “do not worry too much about the game. Have fun and enjoy it”. Knowing about the golf rules and golf etiquette will help you in the game. So, obey the rules first. Always try to be knowledgeable about the practice and terms of the course where you are playing. You can easily find the best solution for your game if you read these rules guide properly.
Comment Policy:Your words are your own, so be nice and helpful if you can. Please, only use your real name and limit the number of links submitted in your comment. Let's have a personal and meaningful discussion.