Golf is undoubtedly a fun sport, but it can also be quite intimidating for beginners. Everyone knows that it takes skill, control, and precision that can take years to perfect, and this usually leads beginners to back out from even giving it a try.
This is all a misconception. Golf can be fun for everyone – whether you’re an experienced golfer or someone who just wants to give it a try. The key here is to find the equipment that’s meant for high handicappers or people who are not as skilled in golf – or at least, not yet as skilled.
One of the main equipment that a high handicapper needs is a fairway wood because this can help launch the ball high and far even with low swing speeds. And in this article, we will help you find the best fairway woods for high handicappers.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What is a Fairway Wood?
- 2 Our Top 3 Winners For The ‘Best Fairway Woods for High Handicappers’
- 3 10 Best Fairway Woods for High Handicappers Reviewed & Analyzed
- 3.1 TaylorMade M4 Fairway Wood Review (Our Test Winner)
- 3.2 TaylorMade RBZ Fairway Wood Review (Our Test Runner Up)
- 3.3 Callaway Epic Flash Fairway Wood Review (Best Premium Choice)
- 3.4 Callaway Steelhead XR Fairway Wood Review (Best For Seniors)
- 3.5 TaylorMade M6 Fairway Wood Review (Premium option)
- 3.6 Callaway Rogue Fairway Wood Review (Most technologically advanced wood)
- 3.7 TaylorMade M2 Fairway Wood Review (Best for Long Distance)
- 3.8 Cobra King F8 Fairway Wood Review (Exceptional for High Handicappers)
- 3.9 Cobra F-Max Fairway Wood Review (Top Draw Bias Model)
- 3.10 Cleveland Launcher HB Fairway Wood Review (Best for Stopping a Slice)
- 4 Buying Guide Of Best Fairway Woods for High Handicappers
- 5 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
- 6 Final Thoughts
What is a Fairway Wood?
Before we introduce you to our top 10 picks for the best fairway woods for high handicappers, you need to know what a fairway wood is.
A fairway wood is a type of club that falls within the wood category and are characterized by their higher lofts coupled with a more shallow face. They had clubheads originally made of wood, hence the name. But in recent times, these were replaced with sturdier and more durable metals called metal woods.
From its name, it’s easy to see that this type of wood is made for long-distance shots from the fairway. In most instances, you may have to shoot the golf ball over hazards like hills or trees. And because of these purposes, it’s easy to see why a good fairway wood is a necessity in every golf bag.
Our Top 3 Winners For The ‘Best Fairway Woods for High Handicappers’
If You Don’t Have Time To Read, Then Take A Look At Our Top Choice ….
10 Best Fairway Woods for High Handicappers Reviewed & Analyzed
Since we were looking at fairway woods that work best with high handicappers, we looked into the features that will greatly improve their performance – especially in terms of ball spin, flight, lift, and distance. After assessing these criteria, we were able to identify the following items as the best fairway woods ever.
TaylorMade M4 Fairway Wood Review (Our Test Winner)
Out of all the items on this list, we were most impressed by the TaylorMade M4 Fairway Wood’s versatility and range of options. We know how hard it is to look for a high handicap fairway wood that’s also designed for the ladies, so we were happy to come across the M4.
To start, the graphite shaft on the M4 is sturdy and lightweight, so you can easily swing it with ease. Hitting the ball won’t be a problem with this club by your side.
Aside from the material used in its construction, the TaylorMade M4 Fairway Wood also offers five shaft configurations: regular, senior, stiff, extra stiff, and ladies. Thus, you know that it’s truly made for every player.
Aside from an impressive shaft, the M4 also boasts speed and playability. Thanks to its Speed Pocket, this fairway wood has unique designs across the clubface that helps improve ball distance even with low swing speeds. Also, these designs offer maximum forgiveness – so even off-center hits won’t be an issue.
One of the stand-out features of the TaylorMade M4 Fairway Wood is its Split-Weight Mass Pads. from its name, the M4 has a pair of mass pads that help balance out the weight along its toe and heel to provide you with better control. As a result, you benefit from an increased moment of inertia – and we can all agree that higher MOI results in a better overall performance.
While we’re on the subject of playability, we must also add that the M4 is also made with TaylorMade’s Geocoustic Technology. This feature incorporates a low-profile shape with a large footprint for improved play, sound, and feel. Without a doubt, this will surely make you feel like a pro on the green.
Now, we move on to speed. First, it boasts using ultra-strong Ni-co 300 steel material for its face. Aside from its superior durability, this material also helps optimize the ball’s speed upon impact. This alone makes the clubhead’s construction special – but we’re only halfway there.
The TaylorMade M4 Fairway Wood has a 5-layer carbon crown that takes the weight off of the top of the clubhead. In fact, it is 8 grams lighter than a steel crown, and this makes it easier to drive. This also reduces side spin upon launch, thereby making it highly forgiving as well.
And finally, the fluted hosel on the M4 gives it a lower center of gravity, making it easier to control while also leaving you feeling comfortable.
Considering all these features, you would expect a monster of a fairway wood. Luckily, the TaylorMade M4 Fairway Wood is also aesthetically pleasing.
- It offers the best weight balance and stability.
- Its signature Speed Pocket helps improve ball speed.
- The low center of gravity greatly improves control.
- It is made of premium and durable materials.
- It has an impressive feel and sound upon impact.
- A headcover is already included.
- TaylorMade M4 Fairway Wood reviews share that it is not recommended for those who do not know their swing speeds yet.
- Speed pocket creates more ball speed across the clubface for more distance & forgiveness. Split-weight mass pads provide increased MOI & perimeter weight distribution
- Ultra-strong ni-co 300 steel face insert allows for optimized ball speed
- 5-Layer carbon crown creates a lower CG by saving 8 grams vs a steel crown, driving higher launch while reducing spin
TaylorMade RBZ Fairway Wood Review (Our Test Runner Up)
One of the first items that come to mind is the TaylorMade RBZ Fairway Wood. With its versatility in high-launch design, there’s no doubt that it deserves recognition as one of the best fairway woods for high handicappers.
This fairway wood has a steelhead that’s known for its strength and durability. To reduce the chance for scratches, cracks, and dents, it boasts a satin black finish on the crown that improves its longevity while also keeping it looking great for a long time. It even has elegant detailing that makes it a clear stand out while you’re playing.
But aside from its luxurious exterior, the TaylorMade RBZ Fairway Wood is also built for an impressive performance. It has a strategically-positioned mass pad that helps optimize the ball’s launch. This feature also gives the user a great sound and feel, providing you with better control over each shot.
The mass pad works well with the legendary TaylorMade Speed Pocket, which consistently promotes a high launch to cover longer distances than its competitors. Even if you play at low swing speeds, the golf ball can reach maximum heights and distances to help improve your game. And this is why we believe it’s a great choice for high handicappers.
The TaylorMade RBZ Fairway Wood uses a Lightweight 55 RocketFuel graphite shaft that promotes both speed and distance. It truly feels as if you’re launching the ball into orbit with rocket fuel. Also, the graphite material helps absorb vibrations, giving you a more comfortable grip on the club.
Speaking of grip, this fairway wood uses a textured TaylorMade stock grip that offers an ergonomic feel. This not only makes it comfortable but also gives you better control over your every move.
We also love how balanced the TaylorMade RBZ Fairway Wood feels. This is achieved through a shallow profile that’s designed to give the club a lower center of gravity. As a result, you have better control over each shot to help you win every time.
All things considered, the TaylorMade RBZ Fairway Wood is an excellent choice for beginners and high handicap players alike. Thanks to its high-launch mass pad and Speed Pocket, you get impressive heights and distances without sacrificing accuracy and control. It’s also incredibly stylish, so you’ll surely have fun on the course.
- Legendary speed pocket for high launch and increased carry distance
- Strategically positioned mass pad for optimal launch, sound, and feel
- Shallow profile lowers the center of gravity to increase playability from the fairway
- It has a balanced weight that makes it easy to control.
- It is designed to improve launch upon impact.
- Users can choose between regular, stiff, and senior shaft configurations for the best feel.
- It has a strong and durable shaft.
- It is very stylish.
- Already includes a headcover.
- It offers excellent value for the money.
- Some TaylorMade RBZ Fairway Wood reviews note that it produces a sound as if you’re hitting a tin can upon impact. It can be annoying for some users.
Callaway Epic Flash Fairway Wood Review (Best Premium Choice)
Another entry from Callaway is its Callaway Epic Flash Fairway Wood. Coming from a big brand, we had so much to expect from this golf club. We want to make sure that it meets all the requirements for a handicap-friendly wood, so we also assessed it with much scrutiny. And thankfully, it exceeded all our expectations.
One of the main features of the Epic Flash is its superior engineering when it comes to producing improved ball speed and high launch. Callaway did a great job of incorporating various speed elements into this club for better action.
Like the Callaway Rogue, the Callaway Epic Flash is built with the brand’s signature Jailbreak Technology. This element effectively incorporates two internal Jailbreak bars into the body to toughen the area up. As a result, the face is prepared for a bigger load which allows the ball to travel farther and faster upon impact.
Aside from its Jailbreak Technology, the Callaway Epic Flash Fairway Wood also boasts the brand’s Flash Face Technology. Thanks to this feature, the Epic Flash boasts a unique face design that allows it to speed up your swing. Whether you’re a mid or high handicapper, you can definitely use this to your advantage.
We weren’t kidding when we said that the Epic Flash was specially designed for speed. Its new Optifit Hosel improved Callaway’s old hosel system for improved weight and control. The new design is shorter and lighter with a strategically-positioned center of gravity for better performance. As a result, you can make an easier and higher launch every time.
We must also mention that the Callaway Epic Flash Fairway Wood offers an adjustable sole weight option. You can choose between a 16-gram sole or a 2-gram sole – whichever you think will work best with your swing.
The adjustable weight is a great feature, not only because it gives you the option for a lighter sole, but because you can switch between two weights as you improve. And as a result, you get better value for the money.
The materials that went into its construction shouldn’t be taken lightly, either. It has forged 455 Carpenter steel construction that’s known for its durability and forgiveness. The way it’s molded also helps improve the ball’s flight even in case of off-center shots. It also has a graphite shaft which is great for high handicappers.
All things considered, the Callaway Epic Flash Fairway Wood is the best speed-enhancing wood out there. If you have issues with ball speed and swing speed, this is the best fairway wood for you.
- It offers an adjustable sole weight.
- Its low center of gravity offers an improved launch.
- Users can choose between various loft degrees.
- Its features help improve launch and trajectory.
- It is made of premium and durable materials.
- The Face Cup and Flash Face Technology help improve ball speed.
- It has a balanced feel for better control.
- As of writing, there are no negative Callaway Epic Flash Fairway Wood reviews.
- Callaway Epic Flash Fairway Woods are designed to help all golfers get more ball speed and distance, lrf by Flash Face Technology.
- Flash Face creates a new fairway wood face design that promotes increased ball speed for longer distance.
- A Forged 455 Carpenter steel construction combines with Face Cup technology to deliver fast ball speed across the face for distance on center- and off-center hits.
Callaway Steelhead XR Fairway Wood Review (Best For Seniors)
Another top contender is the Callaway Steelhead XR Fairway Wood. On the outside, this item looks like a classic, unassuming fairway wood. But upon a close inspection of its features, you’ll see that there’s more than what meets the eye.
The Callaway Steelhead is a beloved classic on the course, so we had a lot to expect with its newer Steelhead XR. Fortunately, the brand put a lot of thought into it, which is why we believe all its enhancements make it perfect for high handicappers.
The Callaway Steelhead XR Fairway Wood allows users to choose between four-shaft orientations: regular, senior, stiff, and extra stiff. This allows you to pick the shaft that will give you the best feel and power while you’re playing, so you’re sure to control it better. It also offers left and right-handed shafts to make sure that everyone gets to enjoy this wood.
Aside from the different shaft orientations, the shaft itself is made of graphite, a durable material that’s known for its strength and shock-absorbent properties. This assures you that it won’t be something that will easily bend or break.
From its name, you can already tell that the clubhead is made of premium and durable steel. But what makes it stand out is its J-36 Carbon crown, adding durability and forgiveness as you play. This alone is enough to take your golf skills to the next level since it helps improve your launch.
Yet it doesn’t end there. The iconic Steelhead shape is now combined with a modern Hawkeye sole that allows it to glide seamlessly across the turf for an easy launch. No need for a complicated swing technique with this fairway wood!
The Callaway Steelhead XR Fairway Wood also has an improver Hyper Speed Face Cup. This feature positively affects how fast the ball travels, so you can expect a speedy ball that travels impressive distances upon impact. This also reduces the chance for missed hits, allowing you to score better each time.
Also, the Speed Step feature improves the overall aerodynamics of this fairway wood, allowing you to swing it faster than its competitors. This is a helpful feature if your main concern is slow swing speeds.
Overall, the improvements added to the Callaway Steelhead XR Fairway Wood makes it more playable than its predecessor. And for that reason, it deserves to be one of the best fairway woods for high handicappers.
- Easy Launch from Classic Steelhead Shape + Modern Hawkeye Sole
- Fast Ball Speed from Next-Generation Face Cup Technology
- Extreme Forgiveness from a J-36 Carbon Crown and Shorter Hosel
- It provides an impressive trajectory after impact.
- It has an impressive clubhead design that greatly improves launch.
- The shaft helps absorb the vibrations.
- It provides you with extreme forgiveness on the course.
- It is versatile.
- As of writing, there are no negative Callaway Steelhead XR Fairway Wood reviews.
TaylorMade M6 Fairway Wood Review (Premium option)
The TaylorMade M6 Fairway Wood is another top contender for the high handicap-friendly fairway wood. Coming from a big brand like TaylorMade, we had a lot to expect from this item. Fortunately, much thought went into its design process, so it exceeded all our expectations.
One of the most interesting features of this fairway wood is its Twist Face design. This feature provides a face curvature that’s designed to correct how the ball flies, even if you make an off-center hit. As a result of the unique face curve, the ball experiences a reduced side spin for a more straight travel path, so you don’t have to worry about the accuracy of your aim.
The TaylorMade M6 Fairway Wood also has an Advanced Speed Pocket design that allows for smoother swings to improve your speed. Because of your improved swing, you can produce further distances and higher lifts for an impressive overall performance. And this will surely have a positive impact on your score.
Aside from the speed pockets, this fairway wood also has a TPU slot insert which allows it to glide smoothly across the turf. We’re familiar with how impact with the turf can affect how you’re hitting the ball, so this feature prevents that from happening. The full force you exerted will surely be transferred to keep the ball flying far and high.
We also love the Inertia Generator feature on the TaylorMade M6 Fairway Wood. The M6 is specially designed with a uniquely shaped clubhead that allows for more speed, giving you better aerodynamics with every shot. As a result, you enjoy maximum forgiveness to reduce the effect of missed shots.
From all of these, you could easily see that the M6 has a design that puts all the others to shame. And since it’s made from a premium steel material with a large carbon crown, it’s incredibly durable as well. It also has a balanced weight that helps with our control. What more can we ask for?
For excellent playability and optimal lift and distance, there’s no doubt that the TaylorMade M6 Fairway Wood is one of the best fairway woods for high handicappers.
- It offers a smooth swing action.
- The curved lower face improves ball speed even with low swing speeds.
- It is made of premium and durable materials.
- The Twist Face feature allows the ball to travel into a straight line even after an off-center hit.
- Users can choose between three-shaft configurations: regular, senior, and stiff.
- It offers impressive control.
- As of writing, there are no negative TaylorMade M6 Fairway Wood reviews.
- TWIST FACE: Twist Face is a revolutionary face curvature with a corrective face angle on off-center hits, engineered to reduce side spin and deliver straighter shots
- MULTI-MATERIAL CONSTRUCTION: New head design with a deep face and larger carbon crown provides optimal distance with excellent playability
- ADVANCED SPEED POCKET DESIGN: Improved slot flexibility for a larger COR area and better off-center performance, especially on low-face strikes; New TPU slot insert is more flush with the surface for improved turf interaction
Callaway Rogue Fairway Wood Review (Most technologically advanced wood)
If you’re looking for a highly customizable fairway wood, look no further than the Callaway Rogue Fairway Wood. It allows you to choose from several options to make sure you find the Callaway Rogue with the configuration that matches your needs.
First of all, it offers both left and right-handed configurations to make sure that everyone gets a chance to enjoy playing with this club. Also, you can choose between four-shaft configurations: regular, senior, stiff, and extra stiff.
Depending on the feel you’re looking for, you’ll surely find the perfect one for you. After all, not all manufacturers offer extra stiff shafts – and that’s an advantage.
Speaking of shaft configuration, you can also choose between a 40-gram one or a more weighted 80-gram shaft. Some users prefer lighter shafts for better swing speed while others prefer weighted ones for precise control. So regardless of your preference, you can definitely find the shaft that suits your playing style.
As for the loft angles, you can choose between several options ranging from 13.5 to 23 degrees. You’re assured that you’ll pick the loft that will greatly improve the ball’s launch. And considering the wide range of loft angles to choose from, it’s safe to say that this can also be considered as one of the best fairway woods for mid handicappers.
If all the above features already have you hooked, wait until you hear the rest. While we were instantly interested in its customizability, we also loved the superior engineering that went into its design.
The Jailbreak Technology on the Callaway Rogue Fairway Wood is one of the first of its kind. Thanks to this feature, the Callaway Rogue boasts having two steel Jailbreak bars that help make the body ready to brace impact on the face area. As a result, you enjoy improved ball speed that can also cover impressive distances with every shot.
The Jailbreak Technology works hand-in-hand with the ultra-thin Carpenter 455 steel face and the Face Cup Technology, both of which greatly improve forgiveness. So even if you make off-center hits, you don’t have to worry about any side spin that could affect your aim. And if you make a center hit? Then you enjoy better speed compared to ordinary fairway woods.
The list of features doesn’t end there.
The Callaway Rogue Fairway Wood also incorporates the brand’s proprietary Internal Standing Wave Technology. This feature positions the center of gravity at low and forward points for higher launch and reduced spin. So even if you don’t have high swing speeds, you can rely on the Callaway Rogue to take care of the rest.
And finally, it boasts superior aerodynamics that greatly improves airflow for a smoother swing every time.
Overall, the Callaway Rogue Fairway Wood is great for players of different skill levels. But considering its high-launch and optimum forgiveness, it’s the best choice for seniors and high handicap players.
- It offers excellent customizability to find the right fairway wood for your handicap level.
- It has distance-enhancing features.
- Promotes maximum forgiveness for straight and high flights.
- It has a balanced weight for the best control.
- It offers great value for the money.
- Some Callaway Rogue Fairway Wood reviews report having scratches after a few uses.
- Jailbreak Technology
- Easy to Launch on a Strong, Straight Flight
- Triaxial Carbon Crown for Distance and Forgiveness
TaylorMade M2 Fairway Wood Review (Best for Long Distance)
The TaylorMade M2 Fairway Wood is another top contender for the best fairway woods for high handicappers. It comes with all the features you need to improve your game without sacrificing style and comfort.
Let’s face it – not a lot of fairway woods for high handicappers are blessed with eye-catching style. Fortunately, the M2 is one of the stylish ones that will surely catch the attention of everyone you’re playing with.
But aside from its impeccable style, the TaylorMade M2 Fairway Wood also boasts superior construction and design. It has a stainless steel body coupled with a stainless steel face, a material that’s known for superior durability. It also promises a better launch, so you know you’re getting your money’s worth.
Also, the M2 has a 6-layer carbon crown, which further improves the aerodynamics of the clubhead but without sacrificing its durability. Carbon crowns are also lighter than traditional ones, so the balanced weight helps with how well we control the club.
Like all the items on this list, a high handicap fairway wood should have a graphite shaft. Graphite shafts are known for being lighter than steel ones, and this makes it easier to swing. Fortunately, the TaylorMade M2 Fairway Wood uses a graphite shaft to make it high-handicap-friendly.
You can also choose between regular, senior, stiff, and extra stiff configurations to make sure that you get the best feel from it. And that has a lot to do with how comfortable you are with every shot.
The Inverted Cone Technology on the M2 is also considered to be the first of its kind. Because of this feature, the wood has a larger clubface, and this reduces the chance for missed shots and sky balls. Regardless of what part of the face the ball hits, it will surely travel fast and straight to your advantage.
Another notable feature of the TaylorMade M2 Fairway Wood is its Geocoustic Technology. This feature made use of superior engineering to incorporate geometric applications to provide the wood with improved turf interaction and better sound upon impact. This provides a better feel and forgiveness, making it great for beginners, seniors, and high handicappers.
Speaking of turf interaction, the M2 boasts a two-tiered sole design that allows it to glide smoothly across the turf. Without a doubt, this fairway wood will make you feel like a pro.
And finally, the TaylorMade M2 Fairway Wood has a low center of gravity that allows it to propel the bottom half with ease. As a result, you benefit from higher launch conditions and ball speeds to minimize the number of swings for every game.
- MULTI-MATERIAL construction for low CG with 6-layer carbon crown, 450 stainless steel body, and 455 stainless face
- Inverted cone technology in a fairway wood for the first time protects ball speed across the entire clubface to produce a bigger sweet spot for more forgiveness
- Geocoustic technology that has advanced shaping with a two-tiered sole design provides added playability from all lies and sound ribs that have been externalized for exceptional sound and feel
- It is very stylish.
- It offers maximum forgiveness.
- Made of premium and durable materials.
- It is made of multi-material components for improved durability and aerodynamics.
- It offers a superior feel and control.
- The speed pockets offer improved speed
- It is not available for lady golfers.
- Some TaylorMade M2 Fairway Wood reviews share that the clubheads develop scratches and cracks after a few months of use.
Cobra King F8 Fairway Wood Review (Exceptional for High Handicappers)
If adjustability is what you’re after, then the Cobra King F8 Fairway Wood is the best option for you. It offers adjustable options to make sure that you get to play the way you want to, allowing you to customize the club as you improve your golf skills.
We weren’t exaggerating when we said that the Cobra King F8 was adjustable. For starters, it has adjustable loft settings that allow you to pick the perfect angle for a particular shot. This allows you to create the trajectory you need to win the game. This also helps with making sure you get a high launch from your shot.
Aside from the adjustable loft, the Cobra King F8 Fairway Wood also offers interchangeable low and back weights. As a result, you benefit from a well-positioned center of gravity that can positively impact the ball’s carry distance. This is one of the reasons why the F8 is one of the more forgiving fairway woods.
Speaking of forgiveness, the Cobra King F8 also comes with a progressive Baffler Dual Rail System. This feature takes advantage of shallower or steeper rails for an improved angle of attack. You don’t have to worry about off-center hits or sky balls with this unique feature! This is especially useful if you have to make a shot from soft lies or hazards.
Speed isn’t an issue, either. The Cobra King F8 Fairway Wood has a forged stainless steel face insert that greatly improves the club’s flex. This results in unmatched speed and distance, even for high handicap golfers.
This solid clubface works hand-in-hand with its 360 Aero Trips. This innovative design helps reduce drag along the clubhead, thanks to the polymer trips installed along the perimeter of the clubhead.
And finally, the ultralight carbon crown helps keep the weight off of the top of the clubhead. This focuses the center of gravity at a lower position for improved control and forgiveness.
- Baffler rail System utilizes Shallower or steeper rails depending on loft and angle of attack for improved versatility and forgiveness from any lie
- Ultralight carbon fiber crown-a lighter 5-ply carbon fiber crown saves discretionary weight to move the CG lower and deeper, producing higher trajectories and increased forgiveness
- 360 aero-innovative polymer Aero trips positioned around the perimeter of the clubhead improve drag reduction face-on through the downswing to generate maximum clubhead speed
- It has an interchangeable weight position.
- It has adjustable loft settings.
- The progressive Baffler Rail system offers maximum forgiveness.
- It is made of premium and durable materials.
- The aero trips around the clubhead’s perimeter help minimize drag for a smoother swing every time.
- It is very easy to hit.
- It does not come with the tool that helps adjust the loft.
- Some Cobra King F8 Fairway Wood reviews share that it may be too heavy for senior golfers.
Cobra F-Max Fairway Wood Review (Top Draw Bias Model)
The Cobra F-Max Fairway Wood is another top contender for the best fairway woods for high handicappers. This is especially if you’re a lady golfer on the lookout for an affordable yet high-performance fairway wood.
Thanks to its ultralight configuration, swinging this fairway wood won’t be a problem. The graphite shaft is paired with an offset design that’s bound to improve your swinging speed. As a result, you can launch the ball higher and straighter, making sure that you won’t miss your aim.
Even if you’re still improving your aiming skills, the Cobra F-Max Fairway Wood is designed to help you with it. It has a helpful Crown Alignment Feature that can help you make more accurate shots without all the science in your head. Simply align the clubhead and you’re ready to make the shot.
Thanks to its forged stainless steel face, speed won’t be an issue, either. This material gives the ball the extra boost it needs for improved speed and carry distance.
And for improved control, the Cobra F-Max Fairway Wood has a back-heel center of gravity. This strategic positioning gives you the best control over the club, so you can achieve better results. Without a doubt, all of these features work together to help you improve your game.
- Offset Design-An offset hostel design creates higher launch with more draw bias for straighter, more accurate shots
- Ultralight Configuration-Lighter shafts and swing weights promote maximum club head speed and distance for slower swing speeds
- Back/Heel CG Weight-A fixed, back weight positioned near the heel promotes more forgiving, straighter drives
- It is designed for lady golfers.
- It is made of premium and durable materials.
- The shaft is flexible and easy to swing.
- It has a well-positioned center of gravity for improved control and forgiveness.
- It boasts an impressive range of loft angles that are specifically for high handicappers.
- As of writing, there are no negative Cobra F-Max Fairway Wood reviews.
Cleveland Launcher HB Fairway Wood Review (Best for Stopping a Slice)
And finally, we have the Cleveland Launcher HB Fairway Wood. If you’re looking for a great entry-level fairway wood, then look no further than this item.
Thanks to its graphite shaft, swinging this club won’t be a problem. But aside from the material, the shaft is also designed to have a more balanced feel, allowing you to control it better. So even if you don’t have the highest swing speed, you can still achieve peak performance with this fairway wood.
Another factor that affects your swing speed is the weight of the crown. Fortunately, the HiBore Crown on the Cleveland Launcher HB Fairway Wood reduces its size by 5 millimeters, thereby lowering its weight and improving the overall club head aerodynamics. This results in a smoother swing every time.
Aside from improved swing speeds, the Cleveland Launcher HB Fairway Wood also delivers impressive ball speeds and carry distance. Thanks to its new Cup Face, this fairway wood produces higher COR to launch the ball at unparalleled speeds.
And when this feature is coupled with the unique Flex-Fins, the energy transferred to the ball pushes it to travel farther than when you’re simply striking it with a regular fairway wood. Without a doubt, that’s impressive.
- The cup face is designed for improved launch and lifts.
- It is made of premium and durable materials.
- The shaft is lightweight and has a higher balance point for better control.
- The unique Flex-Fins transfers more energy to help the ball travel faster.
- It has a lightweight crown.
- A headcover is already included.
- Some Cleveland Launcher HB Fairway Wood reviews share that it does not cover much distance.
- The regular and senior configurations still have a stiff feel to it.
- HiBore Crown
- New launcher cup-face
- Unique flex-fins
Buying Guide Of Best Fairway Woods for High Handicappers
Now that you know which fairway woods made it to our list, the next step is to narrow down your options with our buying guide. Here, we’ll introduce you to the factors you have to consider to find the best fairway wood for you.
To make sure that you get your money’s worth, you need a fairway wood that’s made of premium and durable materials. This assures you that it won’t easily bend, break, or crack even after years of use.
While traditional fairway woods are made of wood, today’s clubheads are now made of steel or similar metal material. Steel is stronger than wood, so you don’t have to worry about it falling apart anytime soon. Some clubheads even have a carbon crown that further improves its durability and longevity, so you should consider these.
Aside from the materials for the clubheads, you should also look into the materials used for the shaft. Popular options include graphite and steel, and the final choice depends on the feel and budget you’re willing to pay for the shaft. But for high handicappers, graphite shafts work best because of their superior feel that helps improve the speed of your swing.
Another factor you have to consider is the design of the fairway wood. How the club performs has a lot to do with how it’s designed. Specific models have curves on the face at the right places to help you improve your shot, even if you miss hitting the ball at the center.
Explore all the features that each brand club has to offer and determine which ones would most likely help you improve your game.
One of the reasons why some players end up in the high handicap category is because of their slow swing speeds. Slow swing speed often results in low-flight and short distances, which can also result in more swings to get the ball into the hole.
In the design aspect, we talked about the features that were molded into the clubhead to help launch the ball further. But in terms of aerodynamics, we looked into the overall feel of the club in a way that it helps you improve your swing.
As much as possible, look for a fairway wood with aerodynamic features, usually along the club head, that will allow it to move faster than your ordinary golf clubs.
The weight of the fairway wood should also be balanced. Some users prefer heavier clubs, but some senior golfers play better with lighter woods. But if you were to ask us, we believe that it all depends on how balanced the wood feels as you make your shot.
The ideal fairway wood for high handicappers should have a low center of gravity since it helps push the club faster onto the ball as you swing. This type of wood also helps improve your control to make even better shots in the long run.
And finally, you should also be comfortable while playing. Aside from padded grips, the best fairway woods for high handicappers should also have shock-absorbent properties to keep you playing for longer periods. This will also give you a more stable hold over the club, and this greatly helps with your aiming accuracy.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
What loft degree do I need in a fairway wood?
When it comes to fairway woods in general, a loft of 13 to 15 degrees would be ideal. However, this number is ideal for low to mid handicappers who boast swing speeds of at least 100 miles per hour. For high handicappers with swing speeds slower than 100 miles per hour, your fairway wood should have a loft between 15 to 17 degrees.
What is the best fairway woods for high handicappers?
Admittedly, it’s hard to choose just one fairway wood out of our top ten picks. But if we were to pick three that stood out, it would be the TaylorMade M4 Fairway Wood, the Callaway Golf Epic Flash Fairway Wood, and the Cobra Golf Men’s King F8 Fairway Wood. All of these woods offer improved ball speed, swing speed, and longer distances, so it will improve a high handicapper’s game.
What is the best fairway wood for seniors?
When it comes to looking for a senior-friendly fairway wood, lightweight shafts and designs are essential. With that in mind, the TaylorMade RBZ Fairway Wood and the Callaway Steelhead XR Fairway Wood are our top picks.
Golf isn’t just a game for low to mid handicappers. Even high handicappers can have a fulfilling round as long as they know what to bring for the game. This is why they need to have a few of the best fairway woods for high handicappers in their golf bag.
High handicappers usually have lower swing speeds and average control, so the fairway wood they use must be able to augment these shortcomings. But let’s be honest – the search for handicap-friendly fairway woods can be tricky. This is especially true if you’re a beginner.
And this is why we prepared this article for you. You can simply choose from any of these options, and you’re guaranteed to find the perfect wood for your next game. Even if you’re torn between two or more options, you can always come back and consult the buying guide for added enlightenment.
Last update on 2021-01-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API