If you’re in the market for the best cavity back iron, there are a few things that you must consider before you make your purchase. You’ll want to consider the number of clubs included in the set, the brand name and reputation associated with that brand, and the types of clubs included in the set. The best cavity back irons are a game-changer for golfers. Their design allows better control and distance, which will help any player shoot a better score.
Choosing the right golf club can be a difficult task, reliant on understanding many complex factors. There are, however, several qualities you should look for when making your purchase. To help you select the right golf club, we’ve put together a guide with practical and valuable information to help you pick the best.
Let’s have a look at the top 10 best cavity back irons
In this section, we reviewed 10 Best Cavity Back Irons for you. What are those? Let’s see the list:
TaylorMade Golf P790 Iron Set Review
TaylorMade has been a leading name in irons for nearly four decades, and the new P790 irons are going to be one of its best by far. The secret is their high-density tungsten material — it’s the reason why they have got a forged look despite their hollow construction.
These P790 game improvement irons give you everything you want: the most forgiving irons with faster ball speeds and more distance. TaylorMade engineers developed SpeedFoam, an ultra-light material that replaces durable yet heavy steel in the club head’s cavity. That means you will get extra stability and distance from every iron you hit. With these thin, forged irons that help you consistently create a powerful ball flight, you should be more consistent in your play.
Strong and sturdy
Every swing feels right at home on the course, as the D2 swing weight keeps a consistent ball speed. The forged head and muscle back irons provide extra distance off the tee and through long approach shots, while the refined feel of the golf irons makes every shot on the greens seem perfect. These best cavity back irons have a tremendous impact and deliver solid and powerful strikes. Never use an oversized head.
The TaylorMade P790 irons offer an excellent club-to-ball connection with a solid feel. Offering maximum forgiveness than other super game improvement irons in its category, these clubs are ultra-forgiving and deliver consistent distances on off-center hits. With a beautiful finish and club design, the P790 irons provide both style and substance — for an excellent price.
- Forged Hollow Body Construction
- Low Profile Tungsten Weighting
Low profile tungsten weighting for high launch
The feel and sound are exceptional
Consistent distance Iron
Product delivery is not up to the mark
No replacement offered
TaylorMade SIM MAX Irons Review
SIM MAX provides the best multi-material construction for beginners and intermediate golfers. Their creation of the revolutionary speed bridge technology to enhance high launch and ball speeds. However, it still promotes a higher launch angle because of the flexible face — the result is a thinner top line, further enhanced by the 33% lighter front wall.
No matter where you look at the TaylorMade golf irons, their engineering stands out. So it’s no surprise that it’s one of the most critically acclaimed clubs in the market right now. The ultra-thin face slots are a fine piece of design that influences ball speed and distance more than anything else.
The increased weight of each iron provides a powerful, penetrating swing that drives the ball off the tee or fairway. It makes you feel confident in your swings. If you’re having trouble hitting the ball far enough and want to add 10-15 yards to your drive or fairway shots, this is a great choice. Their weight will make you feel confident and comfortable with this iron.
The SIM MAX irons come with a combination of revolutionary speed bridge technology and progressive geometry. As a result, the SIM MAX iron is an excellent choice for beginner to intermediate-high handicappers. With its forgiving design that features an ECHO damping system, these game improvement irons are long. As a result, they will help you to eliminate harsh vibrations when you need them. The trajectory is relatively high, but that’s why it’s so forgiving — it makes getting low-flying approaches under par much easier.
- Speed Bridge: Revolutionary Speed Bridge technology strategically supports the topline of the iron to unlock explosive distance and forgiveness with improved sound and feel
- ECHO Damping System: Designed with energy channeling geometry to quickly eliminate harsh vibrations at impact delivering better feel without sacrificing face flexibility
- Speed Pocket: Patented TaylorMade technology engineered to maximize face flexibility for increased ball speed and forgiveness on low face strikes
A very flexible golf irons
Progressive Inverted Cone Technology
Perfect for slower swing speeds
The progressive power holes maximize distance and precision
Middle and long irons cannot provide sufficient stopper-power spin
Poor return policy
Callaway Golf 2020 Mavrik Irons Set Review
Callaway is releasing a new set of Mavrik Irons they have dubbed the “Game-Improvement Irons”. These best cavity back irons are said to offer more forgiveness, increased distance, and enhanced feel. The Callaway mavrik irons start with the 3-iron and go through the pitching wedge with a 10-degree loft.
The new irons feature a sweet spot up to 38% larger, providing a striking distance and accuracy. It is highly responsive. It features a graphite shaft and a new gripping pattern that offers a maximum spin rate while controlling the golf ball. This vital piece of equipment also uses a 360 Face Cup that flexes and releases at impact, allowing you to play as effortlessly as the pros.
Combining a perfectly balanced and expertly crafted blade with the ingenious artificial intelligence of neural networks has resulted in the most advanced irons ever made. Their intelligent irons can produce more ball speed and spin by using an excellent face design than any other mid and long irons on the market, improving distance and accuracy across the face.
With its tungsten-infused cast bodies and multiple carefully placed weighting ports, this club set provides an incredibly forgiving yet powerful playing experience. Thanks to the solid center of gravity (CG) to increase ball speed SpeedBack shaping throughout the entire club head.
- Due to unprecedented demand across the industry, causing a shortage of shafts and grip, we may need to substitute for an equivalent premium shaft/grip.
- With MAVRIK, we’re using Artificial Intelligence for the first time in an iron. Ball speed is further enhanced by our 360 Face Cup that flexes and releases at impact.
- We’ve created a sophisticated face architecture that’s unique to every loft, so we can create a significant boost in ball speed and increased spin robustness off of every iron.
The best model for mid handicap golfer
Proper distance control with exceptional stability
They designed for perfect distance
Industry-leading Ball Speeds
Lightweight graphite shafts
Original polish fades quickly
Product delivery is not up to the mark
Callaway Golf 2019 Big Bertha Iron Set Review
The 2019 Big Bertha Irons are the best-looking length irons that Callaway have ever produced. Big Bertha is a lightweight, durable frame made from a blend of aluminium and graphite. It also comes with a patented cavity-back design that features microspheres integrated into the molding process.
This forged iron set also features a revolutionary design to provide maximum distance, more forgiveness, straighter shots and more consistency. These forgiving irons are designed for golfers at all levels. In addition, you will get cast urethane face cups that help give players exceptional feel and control of shots on the leading edge.
The best thing about Callaway irons is the 360 Face Cups, a whole bunch of high-impact polymer that sits at the bottom of each iron. As you strike the ball, it flexes to absorb the impact and retain more energy, driving the ball longer and straighter than ever. It also means better stability for off-center strikes — producing higher ball speed and a hotter launch angle.
The Carpenter 455 Steel face is a fast, reliable option for golfers of all skill levels. The hyper-speed face cup design promotes increased distance on shots off-center and helps you put more on the ball in the right places.
- Easy Launch, Distance, and Incredible Sound and Feel From the Suspended Energy Core
- Long, Consistent Distance From Our 360 Face Cup
- New Suspended Energy Core
Its center gravity is easy to launch
Very easy to hit
Perfect shaft material
Great product for medium golfers
It promotes fast swing speeds
Perfect blade length
The black polish wears out fast
Not combined with a laser milling
Cobra Golf 2019 F9 Men’s Speedback Iron Set
It’s no secret that Cobra Golf has a reputation for producing one of the best cavity back irons. The cobra f9 4 iron comes with a massive face that will provide faster ball speeds and distance. In addition, the deep undercut cavity design allows for even more forgiveness.
In addition, a thin, unsupported face lets the face work more efficiently at impact for faster ball speed and a higher launch angle. The E9 Forged cavity back iron face is one of the thinnest in the industry. Still, it extends into a thicker area where golfers need it most for power and control.
It determines how easily you can shape your shots and deliver powerful approaches at the green. That’s why this club has 33 grams of Tungsten in the heel and toe — to increase the club’s stability while keeping it light. This technology will help you improve your MOI, so you can enjoy playing golf more than ever before. The speed back shaping of a club adds to the stability of a racecar because it enables the golfer to send the ball longer distances.
Speed back sole
In golf, back weighting is the act of turning an iron’s center of gravity backwards so that the clubhead faces the ball at a lower angle of attack. This feature reduces distance and increases accuracy by generating a steeper descending shot angle on impact, ensuring that the ball rolls out instead of ballooning up in the air or digging into the turf.
- High Moi Design-A higher MOI is achieved using a combined 33g of Tungsten in the heel and toe, increasing stability and inertia for the best combination of distance and forgiveness
- Low CG Speed back Sole-Additional mass is added low and back, delivering a lower and deeper CG that increases ball speed and launch to maximize distance
- Forged E9 PowerShell Face-An E9 variable thickness face design is 1.8mm at its thinnest point and expands the SWEET ZONE area on the face
Very forgiving game improvement irons
These lightweight materials
These are standard size grips
Low CG speed back sole
The length is not standard
Terrible delivery experience
Progressive power Holes are absent at wedges
LAZRUS GOLF Premium Hybrid Golf Clubs Review
LAZRUS GOLF takes pride in building the world’s best golf clubs by constantly improving and revolutionizing its patented technologies. The LAZRUS GOLF team is committed to providing premium performance with its innovative and industry-leading designs. Take a look at one of the newest additions to the LAZRUS GOLF family of irons and hybrids.
Benefits of LAZRUS Golf Irons (Best For High Handicappers Key Features)
Premium Golf Club – Professional level, made with Titanium Coated, High Strength Steel
Improved Distance – Increased club head speed for increased distance
Titanium Coated – Promotes a lighter club and increased swing speed
6, 7 and 9 Irons – Shaped Sole Design for maximum forgiveness on off-centre hits
Easy to hit
These new hybrids are great for those with a short iron game. Hitting these irons is simple because of how they’re designed. The feel of the cavity back irons are easy when hitting shots, and because they’re easy to hit, the ball flight is nice. The first shot you hit will be right on the board!
I’ve had good experiences with a few of the newer hybrid clubs on the market, and that’s what made me want to try out LAZRUS. The quality of the club is excellent. It looks nice and feels good to swing. And the distance is consistent at about 185 to 200 yards, which genuinely depends on the lie.
- GOLF HYBRIDS SOLD AS SINGLES: Thousands of Lazrus Golf clubs sold worldwide! Please choose right or left hand above. All skill levels!
- SPECS: Graphite shafts – (2 hybrid/15 degree/41 length) – (3 hybrid/18 degree/40.5 length) – (4 hybrid/21 degree/40 length) – (5 hybrid/24 degree/39.5 length) – (6 hybrid/27 degree/39 length)
- HANDS DOWN THE BEST QUALITY: Lazrus golf hybrids are made in the same place as some of today's "top" golf clubs - For 1/4 the price!
It hits fine off of grass or a tee
Product delivery is quick
Quality Product at a reasonable price
These clubs usually are pretty light
Shipping took a while
No head cover
CLEVLEAND Golf Launcher UHX Iron Set Review
Cleveland iron set is an excellent option for any golfer seeking a high-performance iron set. These irons are forgiving that Built with a high MOI. In addition, they have a generous top line that promotes confidence and forgiveness, making them perfect for recreational golfers or those looking to work on their game.
In this new era, the best way to strike the ball is a long hollow iron. This iron set ensures you have maximum tolerance with lower weight distribution. However, cavity-back short irons are all about control. It’s more like you are leveling up one club for each shot. The call control is remarkable.
Proper Ball Speed
This club is a game changer! It features a high-strength steel face that delivers explosive ball speed. You will love the feel and distance I get with these clubs. You can hit these irons straight without much effort, and the ball jumps off the face.
- Hollow and cavity back construction - hollow long irons provide more forgiveness with lower, deeper weight distribution, while cavity back short irons provide more control when attacking the pin.
- VARIABLE HIGH STRENGTH STEEL FACE - A variable high strength HT1770M steel face insert delivers explosive ball speeds for increased distance, even on heel and toe impacts.
- V-shaped sole - featured in both the cavity back and hollow designs, The v-shaped sole improves turf interaction for better speed retention at impact.
Laser Milling provides good spin for optimum control
The feel is great
These clubs look amazing
Thru pitching wedge
This model is not best for left-handed golfers
Poor product delivery
MAZEL Single Length Golf Club Irons Set Review
While the most expensive iron set on our list, the Mizuno MX-200’s are an excellent option for the mid handicapper. Their standard length gives a more forgiving face, and they are effortless to hit off the tee.
This golf club is made out of 100% graphite. It’s easy to swing, an ideal length for beginners and specialists, and just as decent at making shots as the expert clubs. The grip is a little better than those of the TM iron sets. However, it is a similar weight for all iron, which increases the game by carrying the golf ball at the same distance as the professional clubs.
These big soles make your swing more manageable and help you get more distance. The iron clubs can develop 5 yards nonetheless in the game. Golfers have to get used to their new cavity back irons, but once they work out the ball placing, grip, and swing speed, all the pieces take place simultaneously.
- ⛳SIMPLIFY YOUR GAME:100% graphite shaft one length (37.5 Inches) provide same swing weight and consistent feel for every shot,easy to enhance your performance,perfect for junior and professional players
- ⛳431 stainless steel golf irons feature a combination of large sweet spot for improved accuracy,hit to more further distance
- ⛳Comes with 9 pieces golf irons club set,Including 4,5,6,7,8,9,PW,AW,SW
Great irons at a great price
Product replacement is easy
The quality is excellent
It helps eliminate annoying vibration while playing
Sometimes the shaft feels pretty stiff
The grip peels away quickly
Autopilot Square Strike Irons Review
Autopilot’s square strike irons are engineered to help golfers of all abilities get the ball up in the air quickly and with maximum height. The face angle on the square strike irons is closed at 8 degrees, which results in a high launch for optimum distance. The cavity back irons also feature a high toe height and a low-profile leading edge to make it easier to get the ball airborne.
Traditional cavity back irons have a curved shaft, making it challenging to swing the club professionally and consistently. The Square Strike iron solves this problem by having a straight shaft that promotes a more organized swing speed. With these square strike irons, you better connect with the golf ball and enjoy maximum power and control.
This model is beautifully designed with a beveled leading edge that stops digging. This curved leading edge permits the club to slide easily, just like a ski on snowfall. In addition, the extra-wide sole is curved, and the heel drives beyond the toe. This design guarantees that the blade stays longer square to the target line, which means you can hit a solid shot without disturbing about timing the release.
- SET INCLUDES: 7-, 8-, and 9-iron; available in right-and left-hand; your choice of steel or graphite shafts
- CONSISTENT, CONTROLLED SWING: By using astraight-back, straight-through, putter-like swing with these irons, you rotate the club lessand the clubface stay square to the target longer,promoting a much more consistent and controlled swing than with traditional irons; Traditional ironsrequire greater rotation to get the ball airborne, but with the Square Strike irons, you make solid contact and launch the ball higher with less effort and more stopping power
- ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO HIT FAT: Standard short irons feature thin soles and sharp leading edgeswhich makes them prone to fat shots;The Square Strike irons have a beveled leading edgethatprevents the club from digging, like the tip of a skithat iscurved to ensure smooth interaction with the snow; Plus these irons feature an extra-wide sole that’sgently curved from back to front and heel to toeso the glidesmoothlyalong the turf
The clubs feel much more solid
Excellent for chips
The grips are much better
This model is more forgiving than the other brand
Sometimes the plastic insert fell out
The return policy is poor
Wilson Staff D7 Forged Golf Iron Set Review
The Wilson Staff D7 iron set was launched in 2016 as an alternative to the popular D300 and D200 models. The D7 offers the same hybrids, cavity back irons, wedges and putters with a new face design that is more appealing to some golfers. This Wilson Staff iron set review will compare them to the D300 and D200.
The power of these cavity back irons is too strong for the golf ball, increasing contact time and gaining more distance. 5% more than your old clubs! This advanced technology fills the power holes in the putter’s face, resulting in compact vibration and absurd sound and feel.
Proper Weight Distribution
The weight distribution is consistent across the putter head, which supports its launch when you hit it. It has a minimal offset on the head, which makes it forgiving of miscues. The performance is fantastic! Because of the holes in the club and the chamber, it has a nice feel. It’s also very easy to look at and beautiful to behold. These forged Golf Clubs have a great sound and feel at impact due to the urethane filling.
- Power Hole placement has been optimized for the forged heads, increasing face deflection and contact time between the ball and the face of the iron for more efficient energy return, enhanced ball speed and greater distance.
- This proprietary innovation fills the Power Holes as well as the entire chamber behind the face, resulting in reduced vibration for incredible sound and feel.
- The forged carbon steel and cavity construction beautifully combines the look and feel of a traditional forged iron with game-improving distance.
These are high-quality cavity back irons
It provides you with a fantastic feel
They have a forgiving sweet spot
It helps make the shorter irons play more like mid-irons
Very Expensive model than the other brands
The shaft feels a bit stiff
A complete Buying Guide: Best Cavity Back Irons
When buying golf clubs, there are many factors to consider, including shaft, lie, length, tour zip grooves, and weight. You need to understand how these factors play into club buying, as it can have a massive impact on your performance on the field.
Cast irons vs forged irons
Golf club heads can be either forged or cast. Forged irons are created out of a single piece of metal, as the smith hammers hot metal into its shape. The cast irons are manufactured when hot metal is poured into a cast for shaping the head.
Golfers are quick to extol the virtues of forged cavity back irons designed from a single piece of metal. Unfortunately, they are often pricier than the cheaper cast cavity irons. Still, golfers say that they feel better and last longer over time — especially if you are looking for a set of irons that will improve your game at the same time.
Some golfers need more flexibility than others, and graphite shafts are an excellent option for those players. Graphite golf shafts more easily than steel to allow players to swing more quickly. However, steel shafts are stiffer, and some golfers prefer them. In addition, all players have different abilities and requirements, so choosing the right golf shaft can be difficult.
An ideal golf-club shaft flex is a direct reflection of a player’s swing speed. If you have a high swing speed (95 mph or more), the best shaft flex for you is stiff. Slow swingers, however, will benefit from more flexible clubs. Slow swingers should choose Regular, Senior, or Ladies flexes to enhance their ability to hit the ball longer and straighter.
For many players, muscle backs are the only way to go. They deliver exceptional control and workability. However, pros who have been doing it a long time tend to favor cavity backs to hit consistency and feel out of the rough and poor lies.
Cavity back irons have a sleek and streamlined design at the address. Their signature hollowed-out cavities on the back of the club allow for easier access to the golf ball.
Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQ)
How long do golf irons last?
Irons can last beyond 5 seasons with the proper care. However, if you begin to notice that your shots aren’t spinning as much, it may be time to switch out your forged irons for a newer set.
How to clean golf irons?
To clean rusty golf clubs, add soap and warm water to a bucket and dunk the rusted portion of the club in it. Don’t be tempted to use boiling water. The heat will ruin the materials of your club’s head; you’ll either need to replace it or pay for an expensive repair bill if it’s gotten too hot. Another easy way is to use Coca-Cola to clean your rusty golf iron head.
Do Cavity Back Irons Help?
The larger sweet spot and perimeter weighting of cavity back irons make them easier to hit straight and high. As a result, they are ideal for low and mid handicappers, who rely on better iron play to gain a competitive advantage.
Do any tour players use cavity back iron?
Titleist points out that 70% of tour players prefer cavity back irons, while 30% prefer blades. While the percentages might change, the fact remains that most professional golfers prefer cavity backs because they provide more forgiveness than blades.
Cavity-back irons are the most popular irons for many golfers nowadays, appealing to players with faster swing speeds and those who prefer a shapely ball flight. These best cavity back irons usually have a pronounced bump-and-run flight. They can be produced in various strong lofts to suit any player’s taste. For more iron models of every kind, check out our guide to the five best cavity back irons.
If you’re looking for cavity irons, make sure to select ones with suitable shafts for your swing and intended use. Unfortunately, many golfers avoid doing their homework for shafts, but they can significantly impact performance and experience.
Last update on 2021-10-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Table Of Contents
- 1 Let’s have a look at the top 10 best cavity back irons
- 1.1 TaylorMade Golf P790 Iron Set Review
- 1.2 TaylorMade SIM MAX Irons Review
- 1.3 Callaway Golf 2020 Mavrik Irons Set Review
- 1.4 Callaway Golf 2019 Big Bertha Iron Set Review
- 1.5 Cobra Golf 2019 F9 Men’s Speedback Iron Set
- 1.6 LAZRUS GOLF Premium Hybrid Golf Clubs Review
- 1.7 CLEVLEAND Golf Launcher UHX Iron Set Review
- 1.8 MAZEL Single Length Golf Club Irons Set Review
- 1.9 Autopilot Square Strike Irons Review
- 1.10 Wilson Staff D7 Forged Golf Iron Set Review
- 2 A complete Buying Guide: Best Cavity Back Irons
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQ)
- 4 Final Words: